Unfortunately, depression is a big problem for so many people these days. According to the latest statistics provided by the World Health Organization, over 300 million people all over the world suffer from depression. The statistics also shows that more than 11 million of adults in the United States feel depressed at least once per year. These numbers are expected to grow in the future. If left untreated, depression can result in serious negative consequences.
Traditionally, psychiatrists use antidepressants to cure depression. Nevertheless, it’s also possible to treat depression in a natural way. Oftentimes, making changes to behavior and lifestyle is enough to cope with depression successfully. But most importantly, you need to change the way you think. There are many natural depression treatments available for patients. Today, we will talk you through 5 natural treatments for depression.
1) Set goals. Goal setting is one of the best natural ways to deal with depression and sadness. People often feel depressed because they can’t achieve their goals. Your self-esteem will improve and you’ll feel much better if you manage to accomplish your goals. However, it’s important to set goals wisely. You have to be realistic about expectations. If your expectations are too high, then you may find it difficult to reach your goals. If this happens, things will get even worse. Set only achievable goals!
2) Create a daily schedule. Doctors say that getting in a routine helps improve depression. People are feeling boring with their life because they don’t know what to do. That’s why depressed people should create a daily schedule and stick to it all the time. Every day you should aim to complete all things in your to-do list. As a result, you’ll be able to get back to normal life quickly.
3) Do exercises regularly. There is no better way to overcome depression without medication than regular exercise. Physical activity helps reduce stress and deal with depression. Physical exercise increases blood circulation and delivers more oxygen as well as nutrients to your brain. By exercising consistently you will be able to build a healthier brain that responds better to stress. Doing exercises results in the release of endorphins and improved mood. It’s a great idea to go to the gym several times a week. However, if you live a busy life then you can just run, walk or ride a bike a few miles early in the morning. Exercising regularly will help you get rid of depression and prevent it from happening. So, incorporate exercise into your lifestyle!
4) Eat right. Healthy diet needs to be a part of a natural depression treatment program. If you are trying to beat depression without pills then you also need to think about healthy eating. You need a diverse and healthy diet. Make sure that your diet contains healthy foods which are rich in antioxidants, folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, phytonutrients, protein and other nutrients. It makes a lot of sense to add foods like almond, avocado, blackberry, carrot, grapes, pistachios, spinach, tuna as well as salmon to your diet.
5) Sleep well. Getting enough sleep is crucial for fixing depression and staying healthy. The reality is, depressed people tend to not sleep. The lack of sleep or too much sleep is likely to make your depression worse. Normally, a person has to sleep up to 7 – 9 hours a day. Go to bed early to get a good amount of sleep. Try to wake up at the same time every day. Sleeping well will help you ease depression and feel good.
About the author:
James Wickersham is a licensed social worker, certification alcohol and drug counselor and works closely with with individuals affected by anxiety and depressione. He provides compassionate depression therapy and counseling for teenagers and adults.