The information that is readily available makes it possible to search for ways to do almost anything yourself but some you may want to think twice about before attempting. Among them is DIY braces and your Victoria BC Orthodontist says some procedures are best left to the professionals. One of them is the placement of braces below are the reasons why you might not want to attempt this yourself.
A quick glance at the components on some of the DIY braces blogs should set off alarm bells even if a visit to an Orthodontists office is not in your budget. Some of the content on these blogs suggest using the following:
- Orthodoniic wax
- Rubber bands
- Hair elastics
- Dental floss
- Jewelry making bracelet beads
- Paper clips
As you can see most of these items should never be placed in your mouth or be used for DIY braces. Besides being an oral health hazard attempting DIY braces could result in a dental emergency. There are specific reasons why you should never attempt a DIY dental procedure such as braces.
- The teeth you treat are susceptible to moving again
- Make a mistake on the tension applied and you could lose a tooth
- DIY applications could result in improper movement and lead to gum infections
- Only a trained professional has the training to move teeth correctly – a DIY procedure could leave you with unfavorable alterations to the way you speak
- You may initially have good results from your DIY and when time diminishes these results you might be emotionally traumatized
- Saving money might be the reason for trying to perform your own brace procedure but the complications may require costly corrective procedures to restore your oral health
Some people don’t want to wear metal braces luckily there are great options like Invisalign available. Here is an overview of how the Invisalign treatment works, the first step is reaching out to Westshore Orthodontics to book a consultation. Once you’re approved for the procedure the next step is xray images and bite impressions which are sent to make Invisalign trays to your personal specifications. On your next visit a treatment plan is formulated using your custom made set of trays along with a schedule of appointments.
Invisalign offers many benefits over other options such as traditional braces for moving and straightening your teeth. With the ability to remove your trays you can eat the food you enjoy just remove them beforehand. Invisalign trays are made of clear plastic and virtually undetectable and great for your self confidence. The results are faster and less time is spent in visits to your orthodontist. The ability to remove Invisalign trays to brush your teeth and clean the trays properly and the easy access to your teeth and gums makes maintaining your normal hygiene routine easier. Why not book a consultation with Westshore Orthodontics today.